Families can hire a foreign caregiver to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with medical needs (accompanied with a signed HRSDC qualified document from a physician / medical professional), when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

The caregiver chosen must be given the option to live in or live out of the home. If the caregiver chooses the option of living in the home the employer may not charge the caregiver room and board charges. If the caregiver chooses to live out of the home the employer must ensure that they have located options for affordable housing for the caregiver to select from.